(A hypothesis by Andre Barbault put into practice)
The virtuoso of Mundane Astrology Andre Barbault published in 1978 some thoughts of his, on the eventual connection between the stationary points of Mars and the war episodes. The source of his inspiration was another astrologer (Maurice Privat), which had made in 1937 a successful prediction on a major event that would take place on March 10, 1938. An event determining the very future of Europe. Indeed, on March the 11th, 1938 Austria was annexed by Nazi Germany!
Barbault could not understand how the aforementioned astrologer managed to predict that major world event, with such precision. He initially studied the configurations of the so called “collective” planets Uranus and Neptune and their impact on Europe, as Nazi Germany was ever more becoming a threat. Unsatisfied by the results of the collective planets he shifted his attention to the more personal ones. His astrological instinct was telling him that the Sun – Mars duet had played a key role in Austria’s annexation by the Nazis’! Thus, he began studying all possible Sun – Mars configurations and their general impact on world events.
The first case that Barbault examined thoroughly was the war between Italy and Ethiopia, which broke on October the 3rd, 1935. He soon realized that there was no major Mars’ activation on that date. Taking in consideration other astrological variants, he finally focused on the stationary points of Mars! In May 1935 Mars had stationed at the 6th degree of Libra. Barbault noticed that the Ethiopian war actually broke as the Sun consequently transited over that critical “stationary” point, at the 6th degree of Libra! Surprised by his find, the master wondered whether this was an unknown till then configuration, portending war!
In order to prove his hypothesis, Barbault studied in depth the perigee phases of Mars and its 15-year perihelic opposition cycle. He ultimately identified six different dates in the 20th century, during which Mars came at its closest to Earth! Out of an astronomical expediency, when Mars is at its closest to Earth, it is simultaneously retrograde, and additionally it is forming a (often wide) opposition aspect to the Sun! So, we are dealing here with a very powerful, threefold phenomenon! You may see below the six distinct dates in the 20th century when Earth and Mars were at their closest (each date being 15 or 17 years apart from the other):
- September 18, 1909
- August 22, 1924
- July 27, 1939
- September 7, 1956
- August 12, 1971
- September 22, 1988
Let us quote some examples from the Barbault’s research:
- In January 1976, Mars became stationary at the 14th degree of Gemini. When the Sun consequently transited over that degree the Syrians and the Palestinians started a war in Lebanon.
- In January 1901, Mars stationed (to go retrograde) at the 12th degree of Virgo. On September 6, 1901, the President of the United States William McKinley was shot, when the Sun was exactly transiting over the 13th degree of Virgo!
- In October 1943, Mars stationed (to go retrograde) at the 22nd degree of Gemini. In June 1944, the Nazis’ V1 and V2 rockets were fired against England with deadly consequences – as the Sun was transiting over the 22nd degree of Gemini.
- In December 1962, Mars was stationed at the 24° Leo (to go retrograde). On August 18, 1963, a bloody revolution broke out in the French Congo that led to the resignation of President Youlou. The Sun was transiting then over the 24th degree of Leo.
Apparently, this Mars stationary phenomenon might be activated by other configurations as well. By an opposition aspect i.e., of the transiting Sun to that Mars’ stationary point. Or by Mars itself, when after its retrogradation returns to its former stationary point.
- In August 1830, Mars was stationary at the 2nd degree of Aries. The Belgian revolution of 1830 took place when the Sun was transiting over the 2nd degree of Libra.
- In November 1960, Mars was stationed (to go retrograde) at the 18th degree of Cancer. It then went to its retrogradation phase and after five months it returned to the 18th degree of Cancer. It was exactly then that the unsuccessful American attack on Cuba took place (on April 17th, 1961).
Barbault also studied the phenomenon of “time delay”. To give you an example, Mars was stationary at 21o Libra, in February 1856. Twenty whole months after, when the Sun was transiting over that point, a major economic crisis erupted (on October 13, 1857). To quote another example, in October 1864, Mars was stationary at 18° Gemini. The Prussian-Austrian war began on June 14, 1866, when the Sun was actually transiting 5 degrees away from that point – at 23° Gemini. So, there are more than one “time delay” effects, in our case.
So, these were the results of the Andre Barbault’s research. He did not think of it as fully-fledged research, thus he invited the astrological community to further study the phenomenon, so that we could come up with a more solid theory.
But how does this configuration work? One might assume that an accumulation of “astral energy” is produced at the stationary points of Mars, thus somehow those points become a “reservoir” of Mars’ energies. A planet consequently transiting over that critical point – the Sun, in particular – could potentially trigger all that accumulated aggressive energy.
The theoretical background of this phenomenon is quite impressive! As Barbault himself is stating in his essay: “Ιf the perigee of Mars (which is coinciding with a Sun – Mars opposition phase) is a culminating time for war, then we might be witnessing here some sort of “spatial compression!”
PUTTING TO THE TEST THE BARBAULT’S THEORY, IN THE 21st CENTURY!
I decided to accept Barbault’s invitation/challenge and apply his theory to the current, 21stcentury, warlike events! I marked down all the dates from 2000 onwards, when Mars was stationing (to turn retrograde), and I then examined the events produced by the subsequent transits of the Sun over that Mars stationary point (with the Sun either conjuncting it or opposing it!).
On May 11th, 2001, Mars was stationed (to go retrograde) at 29° 02′ Sagittarius. The transiting Sun opposed that critical degree on June 20. And on that very date a total solar eclipse took place over Madagascar – in the Indian Ocean. The corresponding significant events were:
- On June 18, some major protests occurred in Manipur, over the extension of the ceasefire between the Naga insurgents and the government of India.
- On June 21, a federal grand jury in Alexandria, Virginia, indicted 13 Saudis and a Lebanese – for the 1996 bombing of the Khobar Towers in Saudi Arabia, which killed 19 American servicemen.
We don’t have any warlike events in this period, but we can clearly see the Sagittarian and Jupiterian qualities manifested – in the form of begging justice over some past or current military events.
In 2003 we witnessed a momentous event, regarding planet Mars! It’s closest approach ever to Earth, in the last 60.000 years! How much of coincidence is then the fact that in that year the massive NATO military coalition invaded Iraq?
To carry on with our research, on July 29, 2003, Mars stationed (to go retrograde) at 10° 08′ Pisces. The Sun opposed this degree on September 3, 2003. In all honesty, no momentous events occurred around that date. However, when the Sun conjuncted this point on February 29, 2004, Jean-Bertrand Aristide resigned as President of Haiti – following a popular uprising. In addition, 3 days earlier, the War in Darfur (Sudan) had broken.
On October 1, 2005, Mars stationed (to go retrograde) at 23° 22′ Taurus. On November 15, the Sun activated that degree, by an opposition aspect. There is no event of significant importance taking place on November 15, however a few days earlier, on November 9, some suicide bombers raided three hotels in Amman, Jordan, killing at least 60 people.
On November 15, 2007, Mars stationed (to go retrograde) at 12° 27′ Cancer. The Sun activated that degree by conjunction, on July 4, 2008. Nothing particular happened on that exact date. On July 7, though, a suicide bombing occurred outside the Indian Embassy in Kabul, causing the death of more than 40 people and the wounding of 130 others. That was the deadliest suicide bombing in Kabul, since 2001. (Interestingly enough, Pluto retrograde was transiting back then in the very last degree of Sagittarius, but this should be the subject of another article).
On December the 20th, 2009, Mars stationed (to go retrograde) at 19° 41′ Leo. On August 12, 2010, the Sun activated that degree by conjunction.
Here is what the media were reporting back then:
- The NATO forces killed three civilians in a raid on a house in Wardak Province (Afghanistan), prompting hundreds of angry people to block a main road to express their frustration with the United States.
- NATO stated that there is an ongoing investigation on whether its troops killed or wounded seven Afghans, in relative operations.
- Julian Assange stated that “Wikileaks” is planning to release the rest of the Afghan War Diary – some documents that is on the War in Afghanistan.
- Human Rights Watch accused the northern Ugandan “Lord’s Resistance Army” of abducting and forcing the recruitment of at least 697 people!
- At least 50 people were injured in Dhaka as police used batons and tear gas to beat back civilians, protesting against the frequent power outages.
- At least two people were killed while more than 80 sustained wounds after troops interrupted a protest against poor conditions, at a prison in Astana, Kazakhstan.
- A car bomb exploded in the Colombian capital Bogotá, just outside Caracol Radio, one of the main radio networks in the country, injuring several people.
- Three people were arrested following a grenade attack in the Rwandan capital Kigal, which injured many people.
Certainly, a day full of conflict and attacks!
In January 2012, Mars stationed (to go retrograde) at 23° 05′ Virgo. The Sun (at 23° Pisces) activated this degree by an opposition on March 14, 2012. On that very day, 100 people were killed in ethnic clashes and cattle raids in South Sudan, while 45 people, including children, were massacred by the Syrian Army in Homs.
Additionally, on March 16th, a Turkish NATO helicopter crashed into a house in the outskirts of Kabul, killing ten people.
Furthermore, when the Sun activated that degree by conjunction on September 15, a series of deadly events took place worldwide:
- Eight innocent female civilians were killed by a NATO airstrike in Laghman, Afghanistan
- Eight police officers were killed by a roadside bombing by Kurdistan Workers’ Party militants in Turkey
- Fourteen people were killed at a roadside bomb in Jandol, Pakistan.
All the above events took place a day after the Sun triggered the Mars’ stationary point, at 23° 05′ Virgo – while several other similar events occurred around September 18 -20, just a few days after that “triggering”.
On March 1, 2014, Mars stationed (to go retrograde) at 27° 31′ Libra. The Sun activated that degree by opposition on April 17, 2014.
- It that period the children’s death toll in the Syrian conflict reached 15,000!
- Dozens of civilians sheltered in a UN base in South Sudan were killed, in an attack of unknown armed men.
- Pro-Russian separatists in Donetsk escalated their actions, drawing bloody events!
- A bomb’s detonation in a busy Cairo (Egypt) square caused the death of a police officer and the wounding of many others.
On April 17, 2016, Mars stationed (to go retrograde) at 08°54′ Sagittarius. The transiting Sun conjuncted that degree on November 30. In that period:
- Fifteen children were killed by ISIS snipers in Mosul.
- An ISIS mortar shell killed at least three people and wounded another three in Mosul.
- A USA bomb killed two civilians and injured seven more, in a Baghdad neighborhood.
On June 26, 2018, Mars stationed (to go retrograde) at 09°13′ Aquarius. The Sun activated this degree by conjunction on January 29, 2019. Shortly after, five soldiers and three militants died in a bloody attack in Patikul, Philippines.
On February 4, at least 11 people were killed in a car bombing attack at a shopping mall in Mogadishu, Somalia.
Finally, on September 9, 2020, Mars stationed (to go retrograde) at 28° 08′ Aries. The Sun activated this degree by opposition, on October 21. It was in those days that dynamic protests took place worldwide, due to the Coronavirus restriction measures.
On October 20, the Nigerian army began shooting blindly into the crowd in Lagos, causing the death of 56 individuals!
This is my small research regarding the verification of Barbault’s theory. I have not thoroughly studied the events occurring when the Sun and Mars are in an opposition aspect – at least not as thoroughly as Barbault suggests. To be honest, checking the list of the major warlike events from 2000 onwards, no such event coincided with the exact Sun – stationary Mars opposition aspect. In any case, I would dare to say that indeed some sort of “heating up” occurs when the transiting Sun is activating the Mars’ stationary degrees. Whether or not this is a mere coincidence, or a cosmic synchronicity it is for each one of us to judge…
Andre Barbault, The Stationary Mars in Mundane Astrology, published at The Astrological Journal, November/December 2020 issue, translated by Kate Johnston.
Wikipedia list of wars and day-to-day events portal.
October 2014 Current Events: World News (infoplease.com)
Anastasia Diakidi was born and raised in Rhodes, Greece. She studied Archaeometry and History at the Department of Mediterranean Studies at the University of the Aegean and after graduation continued her studies with Gothic Literature courses at the Phoenix Rising Academy in London and Mysticism courses at the University of Kent. She continued with Travel Writing seminars at the University of Cambridge. Her love for astrology started at home and very early. In 2018 she decided to study astrology with teachers from Greece and abroad. She also recently completed her training in traditional Horary astrology in Deborah’s Houlding STA with Vasilios Takos. In the meantime, she attends seminars and lectures by international astrologers. She is a member of ISAR. She has been living and working in Canterbury, Kent, England since 2012.
Her email: [email protected]